What are feminized seeds
Copy article link to clipboard.
Link copied to clipboard.
- What are feminized seeds?
- Are feminized seeds bad?
- Advantages of feminized marijuana seeds
- Where to find feminized seeds
In this guide, you’ll learn what a feminized seed is and the advantages of this type of cannabis seed. You’ll also learn where to obtain it.
What are feminized seeds?
As the term would imply, feminized seeds produce exclusively female plants. These cannabis seeds are also referred to as female seeds, and growers want them to be feminized for good reason: only female plants contain buds, the coveted, smokable part of the cannabis plant.
Feminized seeds produce exclusively female plants. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
The female cannabis plant produces higher volumes of beneficial cannabinoids such as CBD and THC than the male plant does. CBD is widely known for its possible medicinal benefits, notably pain relief, while THC can be a powerful mood booster. There are also lesser-known cannabinoids like CBDA and CBN that are equally potent. High concentrations of cannabinoids can equal an intense and potentially therapeutic experience.
Are feminized seeds bad?
If your definition of bad is genetically engineered, then no, feminized cannabis is not bad. The parent plant could be classified as genetically modified, but the seeds are all-natural and produced through pollination rather than engineering.
However, if you wish to breed marijuana plants, then only using feminized seeds clearly will not help accomplish this goal. In this case, the male cannabis plant is essential. But if breeding is not on your agenda, feminized cannabis seeds can be advantageous.
Advantages of feminized marijuana seeds
Besides the higher cannabinoid content, feminized cannabis seeds have several other distinct advantages for growers.
Besides the higher cannabinoid content, feminized cannabis seeds have several other distinct advantages for growers. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
Here are the top three reasons you might want to grow seeds that have been feminized:
- Higher yields: As a cannabis cultivator, your goal is to have the most abundant yield of high-quality weed. If you’re working only with female plants, you are guaranteeing that every plant will produce cannabis. No male cannabis plants will crowd your growing space, which may be limited, so you’ll enjoy more bang for your buck when you work with feminized marijuana seeds.
- More time: Feminized seeds are not only a space saver but also a time saver. When male plants grow in your garden, they need pruning and maintenance before you ultimately remove and discard them. You’ll save time by working only with the female plant, which bears the buds cannabis enthusiasts love.
- More resources: Finally, you’ll save precious natural resources, especially water, by cultivating all female plants. There’s no need to waste water on male plants that won’t yield those sought-after buds.
While standard seeds give you a 50/50 shot at growing a female plant, feminized cannabis seeds provide a 100% guarantee that you will cultivate only what you need, making your cultivation more efficient all around.
Where to find feminized seeds
You can purchase feminized seeds from reputable suppliers. Online seed banks and other internet marketplaces carry a variety of seeds. Just pick your favorite strain , from Blue Mystic to Super Skunk, add to your shopping cart, and get growing!
Online seed banks and other internet marketplaces carry a variety of seeds. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
What are feminized seeds Copy article link to clipboard. Link copied to clipboard. Contents What are feminized seeds? Are feminized seeds bad? Advantages of feminized