Black widow thick
Call Us For Your Free Inspection!
BLACK WIDOW SPIDER
- Black Widow spiders females are about ½” in body length and about 1 ½” in total length.
- The adult female is shiny black with a red hourglass on the rounded abdomen.
- Juvenile females may have red spots or stripes as well as the hourglass.
- Males are dingy white with brown markings and faded hourglass.
- Black widow spiders nest in voids or cavities and construct a thick irregular shaped web.
- Black widow spider bites contain a neurotoxin that shuts down the respiratory system.
- Black widows get their name from the phenomenon that the female will try to consumer her mate after breeding.
- She is successful only about 20% of the time.
- Treat the exterior perimeter of the home.
- Treat the interior perimeter of areas such as storage units and garage as these are likely nesting locations.
- Direct ULV fogging in areas where black widows are observed will contact kill adult spiders.
- Use insect sticky traps in areas conducive to pest activity
- Exclusion can help prevent them from gaining entry
- Inspect your property often and look for signs of nesting.