Wondering how to determine the best CBD dosage for sleep? Check out our blog to discover how much CBD to take before dozing off into dreamland. Best CBD for sleep. Best CBD dosage for sleep. Improve sleep; sleep quality to get the rest your body needs.
What’s the Best CBD Dosage for Sleep?
Home » Blog » What’s the Best CBD Dosage for Sleep?
You plump your pillow, maneuver from one side of the bed to the other, and practice breathing deeply—in, 1, 2, 3, 4; out, 1, 2, 3, 4—then turn your head to the clock on your bedside table. It’s 2 a.m. and you still haven’t gotten an ounce of sleep.
When you don’t sleep restfully, everything else suffers—your concentration, energy levels, and athletic performance can all falter if you’re unable to catch those precious Z’s.
Thankfully, CBD is a catch-all when it comes to rest and relaxation. Whether you’ve learned the connection between CBD and cortisol and want to try CBD for stress management or better sleep regulation, finding the right dosage is important. However, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all rule when it comes to CBD dosage for sleep. Instead, it depends on many factors like your body composition and the quality of your CBD product, which this guide will explore.
- Factors like your body composition and lifestyle habits will affect the effectiveness of CBD. However, it’s generally recommended to take 2.5 mg/1 kg of body weight when first starting.
- To determine the best CBD dosage for you, you’ll need a little patience. Experiment with dosage to find your sleep time sweet spot.
- When purchasing CBD products to incorporate into your nightly routine, find a product that’s third-party tested to ensure you’re getting a high-quality product.
How to Determine the Right CBD Dosage for Sleep
When you’re tired, everything can feel off-kilter. That’s where CBD comes in. When ingested, CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help maintain homeostasis throughout the body.
And taking a few CBD gummies or placing a few drops of CBD oil under your tongue before you tuck yourself into bed may help support more restful sleep.
Generally, it’s recommended to take 300-600 mg of CBD a day to support stress management, or 2.5 mg per kilogram of body weight. However, it’ll take some time and patience before you can determine how much CBD you’ll need to sleep soundly.
The right dosage for you depends on two factors:
- Your body composition
- The CBD product you choose
Let’s take a deeper dive into the specifics.
Step 1: Consider Body Composition Factors
When incorporating CBD into your nightly routine, it’s important to understand how it may affect your body based on your composition and lifestyle choices:
- Your weight – The more you weigh, the higher dosage of CBD you might need to fully feel the effects. In contrast, individuals who weigh less may need less CBD since it takes less time to metastasize throughout the body.
- Your metabolism – The speed with which your body breaks down and uses the CBD you consume will also impact how much CBD you need to support sleep. If you have a faster metabolism, you might feel the effects more quickly but they may wear off faster too.
- Your medication(s) – Some medications can interfere with your normal sleep cycle , which, in turn, may impact the effectiveness of CBD for sleep support. If you do take regular medication, you should check with your doctor before adding CBD to your sleep routine to ensure that it’s safe for you.
- Your eating habits – If you take an edible form of CBD, like a gummy or oil, it might take longer to take effect if you have a full stomach, as it will slow digestion.
Step 2: Identify CBD-Related Factors
Next, you should also pay close attention to the CBD product you’ve chosen to incorporate, as several factors may affect the effectiveness of the supplement:
- Quality of the product – The better the quality of the CBD product, the more likely it is to be effective. CBD isn’t regulated by the FDA, which means some products may not follow through on the promises made by their label. As such, limit yourself to products that have been reviewed by a third-party lab to ensure that you’re getting what you pay for.
- CBD potency – There are three different kinds of CBD: full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD, and CBD isolate. Of these three, full-spectrum undergoes the least processing. It retains all of the naturally occurring compounds of the plant it’s derived from, including trace amounts of THC. On the other hand, CBD isolate only contains pure CBD, ultimately making it the purest of the three.
- Amount of CBD per serving – This can get a little tricky. Some products will list the amount of CBD in the entire package , while others list the amount per serving. It’s important to make sure you’re reading the label closely so you know how many milligrams of CBD you’re taking.
- Product purpose – Different CBD products provide support for different conditions. Some topical CBD lotions may help ease joint stiffness , while CBD oils might be used to promote restful sleep.
Which CBD Products Can You Try for Sleep Support?
So, what is the best way to take CBD for sleep ? Most CBD products can support a restful night of sleep and are available in the following forms:
- Topical CBD – If you have trouble sleeping because you experience joint discomfort, CBD topicals like lotion or balm may help provide some relief and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
- CBD gummies – If you’re looking for support for your overall health and wellness, then you might want to try adding a few CBD gummies to your nighttime routine. A calm and relaxed mindset is ideal before you settle in for sleep.
- CBD oils – CBD oils are placed under the tongue for fast-acting effects. They may help to refocus your mind and release tension from a stressful day. When your mind relaxes, your body can follow.
- CBD capsules – CBD capsules are formulated for rapid delivery so you can feel the effects more quickly. Because CBD and melatonin can go hand in hand, Resilience’s Rest CBD Softgels also contain melatonin to support quality sleep.
- CBD bath bombs – Sleep and recovery work hand in hand. If you find your muscles are sore after a long day, soaking in a bath infused with a CBD bath bomb might help ease your mind and some of your muscle soreness.
How to Fine Tune Your Nightly Routine
Once you’ve determined how your CBD product of choice may affect your body, depending on your weight, metabolism, medications, and eating habits, you can start to experiment with CBD dosages to find what works best for you.
Step 1: Take Notes
First, determining the right CBD oil dosage for sleep support requires that you do a little homework. Don’t worry, it’s not too tricky. To begin, you’ll want to keep a journal with notes on the following factors:
- Hours of sleep – Write down the hours of sleep you get each night. You should also make note of what time you got into bed and what time you woke up. This will help you set a consistent sleep schedule and understand how CBD is affecting your sleep.
- CBD dosage – You’ll also need to write down the CBD oil dosage you take each night. Remember, you should start with a low dosage (2.5 mg/1 kg of body weight), give your body time to adjust, and then determine if you need to up your intake to a higher dose .
- Sleep outcomes – Finally, write down how you slept each night. Did you drift off right away or stare at the ceiling for an hour? Did you wake up periodically throughout the night or did you sleep deeply from the moment your head hit the pillow?
Having this data in writing will help you make informed judgments and decisions about the best CBD dosage to take moving forward.
Step 2: Spruce Up Your Sleep Space
No amount of CBD will support your sleep if your sleeping space isn’t conducive to healthy rest. The CDC recommends making the following adjustments to your sleep environment:
- Create a dark space that blocks light from seeping into the room
- Keep your bedroom cool
- Reserve your bedroom for sleep only
- Maintain a quiet space while you sleep, using earplugs if necessary
You can also get yourself primed for sleep by curating a calming routine before bed. Quiet, relaxation time before sleep helps your brain recognize that it’s time to settle down. To that end, you can unwind by:
- Taking a warm bath
- Reading a book
- Listening to calming music
- Sipping chamomile tea
- Chewing a CBD gummy
You can also reduce the amount of time you spend scrolling through your phone before bed. The blue light emitted from your device can suppress your body’s production of melatonin, making it more difficult to drift off to sleep.
Step 3: Trial and Error
It’ll likely take time to figure out how much CBD for sleep your body requires. However, you should always start with a low dose and then increase the dose gradually as you learn how your body interacts with CBD.
Trust yourself and the process. Your sleep quality impacts other parts of your life, including your ability to manage anxiety and stress and maintain a functioning metabolism. For all athletes, there is even a direct correlation between sleep and athletic performance , so ensuring you’re taking care of any sleep problem that arises is crucial.
Perfect Your Sleep Routine with Resilience CBD
Poor sleep has a tremendous impact on everything from physical health, mental health, concentration, and more. CBD is a great way to help support you in your endeavors to achieve better sleep and take care of your body, but this involves figuring out the CBD dosage you need. There isn’t a single dosage of CBD that will work for everyone—your body composition, overall health, and the quality of CBD you buy will all play a role as you determine the sweet spot for your needs. It’s also critical that you optimize your sleeping environment and eliminate pre-bedtime distractions.
When you’re ready to incorporate CBD into your restful sleep routine, Resilience CBD is your trusted expert. Our premium CBD products come with a Label Accuracy Guarantee™ so you don’t have to lose sleep over the quality of your CBD.
CBD Dosage for Sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep can make a huge difference in life, from energy levels to mood and even immunity. In our stressed out, frenetic world, poor sleep is an epidemic.
Fortunately, CBD oil can be a huge help in improving sleep quality. The question is: What’s the right CBD dose? Unlike other sleep aids, CBD dosage is not one size fits all.
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid, a plant chemical derived from hemp or cannabis. CBD is a gentle, safe, and effective way to manage sleep disturbances. Whether your sleep disorder is due to stress, chronic pain, or some other sleep issue, CBD can help.
CBD comes in many forms, such as tinctures or capsules. Or you might prefer taking a CBD gummy before bedtime. The form of CBD and the dosage can impact its effectiveness, and it all differs from person to person. Read on to learn more about the science behind CBD dosage.
How much CBD should you take for sleep?
So how much CBD should you take for sleep? In the following sections, we will explore CBD dosage for different sleep issues, such as insomnia or sleep apnea. First, let’s briefly explore the differences between CBD product categories. CBD comes in different forms, including:
- CBD oil/tincture
- CBD gummy
- CBD capsule
- CBD vape
- Topical CBD balms or cream
Certain types of CBD may work a little faster than others. A CBD oil or tincture isn’t digested the way a CBD gummy or capsule is. Topical CBD works on the muscles and joints it’s applied to–like hands, wrists, legs and your back. CBD topicals are helpful for sleep only in cases where a chronic, specific pain is causing sleep problems.
While the overall CBD dose is usually the same for different types of CBD, you might find one form works better for you, with perhaps a slight adjustment in dosage.
You should also understand the difference between broad spectrum CBD, full spectrum CBD and pure CBD. Pure CBD contains the CBD (cannabidiol) isolate only, while broad and full spectrum CBD contains additional cannabinoid phytochemicals such as terpenes that add additional benefit to your CBD sleep aid.
With all that in mind, your individual CBD dose depends in part on your body weight. However, body weight is not the only factor in CBD dosage. Each individual has a unique “endocannabinoid” system that reacts uniquely to CBD levels. Thus, use your body weight only as a starting point.
A CBD dosage calculator makes this easy, and many are available for free online. Some calculators will also translate milligrams into milliliters or even “drops,” so you can apply the calculation to your CBD tincture.
How long does it take for CBD to kick in for sleep?
If you aren’t getting enough sleep , you may be feeling desperate for a fast-acting solution. CBD won’t cure your insomnia overnight, but it can help reset your sleep patterns to allow you get the sleep your mind and body need. However, you need to be patient. In research done to determine CBD’s effectiveness for insomnia, most subjects saw a positive difference in their sleep after a few weeks or a month.
Fortunately, the overall results from research seem promising. In one study , almost 80 percent of patients experienced relief from anxiety and over 66 percent experienced improved sleep after taking 25 mg of CBD in a capsule daily.
The important distinction to make between CBD and your average sleeping pill is that CBD does not work like a sedative. CBD won’t “knock you out” instantly like prescription hypnotics. Instead, CBD works to help regulate stress hormones such as cortisol, as well as reduce pain and anxiety, both of which negatively impact sleep. In short, CBD works more to alleviate the causes of insomnia than simply create a state of artificial unconsciousness like a sleeping pill.
Therefore, while CBD can create a mild relaxing effect before bedtime, you don’t need to take it before bed for it to be effective for sleep. Additionally, it won’t make you “instantly” fall asleep like a traditional sedative.
How much CBD oil can you take before bed?
CBD oil can be very helpful for improving sleep. As a liquid, it can be easily assimilated. So how much can you take before bed? The safe upper limit of CBD for humans according to research is approximately 1,500 mg, which is quite high. In all likelihood you won’t need that much, and the averaged recommended CBD dosage is anywhere from 20 to 40 mg.
You can take CBD oil right before bed or during the day for sleep problems. The main reason to take CBD oil before bed is for anxiety relief. Either way, take the same dosage you would take during the daytime. Remember, sometimes less is more with CBD. If going above a certain dosage of CBD makes you feel too “amped,” you should dial the dose back.
What can you expect when taking CBD gummies for sleep?
CBD gummies are another great way to help improve sleep. While they may be a bit slower for the body to digest than a liquid such as a tincture, they are popular for a number of reasons. Many people just like the taste and texture of gummies and prefer them to CBD tinctures for this reason. They are also convenient and can be less messy.
CBD gummies do need to be digested, unlike tinctures, so if taking them right before bed gets your stomach churning, you might switch to a liquid delivery system. Try taking gummies an hour or two before bed instead of right before you turn off the lights. Otherwise, if your stomach is fine, CBD gummies are a great way to help you calm down and prepare for sleep. (Our scientifically formulated CALM gum drops also include terpenes to provide a powerful sleep aid.)
Wisdom Essentials CALM Gum Drops
How do you determine CBD dosage for insomnia?
CBD has been shown to help insomniacs in many research studies. CBD for insomnia is a natural alternative to harsh, possibly addictive sleeping pills, some of which have dangerous and scary side effects.
What types of CBD are best for insomnia?
In general, CBD topicals such as pain creams are not ideal for sleep disturbances such as insomnia, unless the entire problem is due to pain in a specific area. CBD topicals don’t work systemically, so they only work as localized pain killers.
If you want to improve your REM sleep and get on a better sleep cycle, CBD edibles are preferred. CBD oil, especially in a tincture, can be a great CBD product to alleviate insomnia. You might also try a CBD gummy. Look for broad-spectrum CBD that contains additional cannabinoids and terpenes for the most powerful effect.
What are the best CBD dosages for insomnia?
The CBD dosage for insomnia is pretty much the same dosage you would use for any other type of sleep disorder. If the insomnia is severe, you might be tempted to take a lot more CBD right off the bat, but the maximum CBD dosage may not be necessary to quell your sleepless nights.
In fact, too much CBD isolate can sometimes create the opposite effect in some people. In other words, up to a certain dosage level, the CBD will be calming and relaxing. But once a certain threshold is hit (which is usually fairly high, so don’t worry), the CBD ends up making some people more anxious and wound up.
Our suggestion is to start with one dropper of DREAM and adjust from there based on your results.
How do you take CBD for insomnia if you’re taking other medications?
CBD can interact with certain medications, so please talk to your doctor first before starting a CBD regimen. If you want to replace your sleep medication with CBD, you should also consult with your doctor first.
What is the CBD dosage for sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is sometimes a life-threatening sleep disorder that involves a temporary breathing stoppage in the middle of the night. While there are three types of sleep apnea , the most common and well known is obstructive sleep apnea.
Obstructive sleep apnea is when the airway partially or fully closes, stopping the free flow of air to the lungs. It can occur due to genetic structural differences in the oral, throat, and nasal cavities as well as conditions such as obesity and even alcoholism. This can obviously impact sleep negatively by interrupting REM sleep, disrupting the sleep cycle, and reducing sleep quality.
What does the evidence suggest about the effects of CBD on sleep apnea?
The research on CBD for apnea is quite promising and shows that CBD can help with sleep problems due to sleep apnea, such as insomnia.
How does CBD treat sleep apnea symptoms?
CBD cannot cure the cause of sleep apnea if it is due to a structural issue in the throat. However, it can help relax the sufferer, which will make it easier to initially fall asleep and fall back asleep if an apnea episode occurs. Unlike cannabis, CBD won’t make you high, which can cause anxiety in some people and why medical marijuana might not be an option for certain sleep apnea patients.
What are the best CBD dosages for sleep apnea?
As with insomnia and general sleep disturbances, CBD dosage for sleep apnea is individual. You do not need to take extra CBD as a sleep aid for apnea; just the regular dose you would take otherwise will do. Remember, take an internal CBD edible, oil, or tincture instead of an external CBD cream.
What is the best CBD dosage to improve sleep quality?
Even if you don’t have a serious sleep problem such as sleep apnea, you might still benefit from a CBD product as a sleep aid. Recent research suggests as much as 60 percent or more of Americans don’t feel adequately rested upon waking, and this dramatically impacts productivity.
Sleep quality is an important factor in how well rested we are each morning. Quality is all about the depth of your sleep and how restful it was. Sleep quality is just as, if not more, important than sleep quantity. If you are “sleeping” for twelve hours, but much of it involves tossing and turning as opposed to actually sleeping, that’s not good sleep.
One of the main culprits is stress. Chronic stress can disrupt REM sleep and destabilize the entire sleep cycle. Each night, we need to have a balance of REM sleep and deep sleep in order to wake up feeling energized and ready to start the day. REM sleep (REM stands for “rapid eye movement”) helps us to process the events of the day. Poor sleep interrupts that critical process.
How do you find out what dosage of CBD you need for the best sleep?
CBD dosage is as much of an art as a science. As a consistent CBD user, you will probably figure out over time which type of CBD you prefer, whether it’s CBD oil or a CBD gummy, as well as what dose works best. We recommend keeping a sleep log that tracks your sleep quality along with your CBD dosage to find that happy sweet spot for your particular needs.
How do you improve the results of using CBD for sleep quality?
While the CBD isolate in and of itself can generate better sleep, you can often get even better results when using CBD and melatonin . The two combined work synergistically to help reset the sleep cycle and reduce pain and anxiety that might negatively impact sleep.
Should you increase your CBD dosage for sleep if you think it’s not working?
You should start your CBD dosage off at the lowest level and see how you feel for a few weeks. Then, slowly increase the dosage. Back off and reduce the dosage if you start getting any side effects such as upset stomach, nausea, dizziness, irritability, or more anxiety.
Can high-quality CBD help improve sleep?
Finally, we believe that CBD dosage won’t matter if the CBD isn’t of the best quality. Fortunately, our team at Wisdom Essentials has put together the highest-quality CBD products for sleep based on botanical science. Our physician-formulated Wisdom Essentials DREAM tincture leverages the power of CBD along with melatonin and natural sleep-promoting terpenes.
Check out our online store for high-quality CBD products with melatonin to promote optimal sleep.