Spider Mites – Indoor Plants
Heavy mite infestation with webbing.
- Spider mites are very tiny plant pests that are related to spiders. They feed only on plants.
- The colors may be reddish or light green with two dark spots.
- They are about the size of a period on a page.
- Spider mites can be a problem all year indoors and have a very broad host range.
- Spider mites suck the chlorophyll from leaves which results in fine white spots or stipples on the leaves.
- Heavy feeding causes yellowing, browning and eventual death of leaves.
- Some spider mite species produce webbing that covers the leaves and stems when populations are high.
- The two-spotted spider mite feeds mainly on the undersides of the leaves.